Monday, July 25, 2011

Can't stand the heat so I stayed out of the kitchen

As much as I wanted to get out and about in the city this weekend, the triple-digit temperatures made my cool studio a much more attractive option.

First up, a special commissioned request for one of my clients: a NYC harbor scene on Metro subway fare card to give as a gift. I was surprised that I could squeeze all of these elements onto such a tiny canvas:

  


 Next up, another request for a Metro subway fare card paintingAnother client of mine suggested I paint a view of the Queensboro Bridge and I dove in this weekend. I may add a bit more detail to the  suspension rigging but I'm liking it as it is so far. 

What do you all think?


I was so pleased with the bridge that I used it as a study of sorts and began another version on an actual stretched canvas, measuring about 9" x 12". It's not finished but I made some decent progress in an afternoon on this larger version:



A closer look:



I'll post further progress as I make it (I'm optimistic!) and both bridge paintings will be available for sale on Etsy when complete.

Guess the heat was good for something after all.

3 comments:

Ginny Huber said...

As a displace new Yorker ( along time now in Seattle) I have been enjoying your (metro) subway card redos/paintings. The Queensboro bridge never looked so good..and I like the commissioned one with all those "squeezed in elements. The only thing I don't miss (about NY) is 100 degree temps..

Kathryn Dyche said...

The triple digit temps have been encouraging me to to spend more time painting too. Beautiful work.

42 things said...

Never been to NY... love your paintings! so amazing.