Thursday, June 28, 2007

Another portrait progression

Where have I been, where have I been!! ??

Just been preparing for our summer getaway to Jamaica and the watercolor class I'll be teaching. Sadly, that has taken quite a bit of time way from actually painting. And painting more and more is equally important in preparing to teach. So it goes.

Well I have yet another portrait in progress. I seem to have about a dozen or so that I keep shuffling around in my studio, starting one, putting it aside and starting another. I'm quite good at getting the first few washes and colors down on paper, and then I begin to get anxious. Finishing is the hard part. But I'm determined to finish ALL of them in due time.

So without further adieu, here's the latest, shown in two steps -- I began with a pencil drawing this time, rather than using an ink sketch..........



The colors are a bit bizarre, hmmmm? And I've avoided working up the background which I really need to figure out. Negative space is equally important to the positive space, yet I've given it short shrift. I"m liking the face, however -- here's close up....




Ok, more to come very soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that I was the only artist in the world with a studio of not finished art. I thouht it was OCD (SMILES) no really I have paintings w/ no background, one has one leg and flower missing the girl (We are the flowers is the title which means nothing as long it stays blank). A 30 x 40 painting that took me 3 years to do and now it seems another 5 years before I put stupid mistin his hands 2 symbolise a spirit. Thanks 4 letting me know I wasn't all alone

dinahmow said...

"unfinished symphonies" seem to be the norm...
I have come back from the Islands with scrappy sketches, intending to take them further. So far...not much!Right now, it's too cold to hold a pen!