Saturday, April 09, 2011

Media FRENZY

My little paintings on the surface of discarded subway cards have caused a bit of brouhaha in my little corner of Manhattan this week. I'm finally coming up for air to fill in my Night Shifters. Whew.

After blogging about the MTA's demand that I remove my paintings from my Etsy site, and also posting the same info on my tumblr, the story quickly snowballed. Within 24 hours my story was all over the local blogging community AND the  mainstream media. From bloggers to the Wall Street Journal, from the tabloids to local TV affiliates -- I got my 15 minutes.

Check the coverage here as it escalated.......


Nonetheless (tumblr)






As of this afternoon, I'm scheduled to appear on WCBS-TV, CH.2 here in NYC at 11pm  - they interviewed me here at home this morning. I also conducted a telephone interview with 1010 WINS radio here in the city.

Meanwhile, my stock of paintings on subway cards has nearly sold out. Hardly anyone had noticed them during the past 3 months.

Not until this week, when the MTA demanded I take them down -- thank you MTA............

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I purchased one myself and after posting your story on my facebook page I know several people purchased one as well. Keep up the good work.

Michael Penn

joe said...

Just tell the MTA that you will direct all customers to send 10% to the MTA. That should settle it.

Steven D. Keirstead said...

Congratulations on your notoriety! Good luck with future sales, but if the MTA goes after you again, call the ACLU for help.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from France!
Love your work!

Tameka said...

I find your artwork beautiful! Good luck with fighting the MTA. I hope it works in your favor. Art rules!

andrea said...

The irony of this thrills me. Way to go and keep painting! :)

Takeyce Walter said...

"Thank you MTA"
Love this! Congrats on the sales.

Rosie said...

Call me thick but what is the MTA?

Rosie said...

Ah, just saw the video. Carry on!!! These greedy people make me mental! Good luck. I hope you sell millions.

Jeremy Brautman said...

Loved this story, and we blogged about it too. Come out to The Bay Area, and paint on our BART passes! http://thejailbreak.com/2011/04/11/why-does-the-mta-hate-artists/

VH McKenzie said...

thank you guys! I've finally come up for air -- I need to go paint more NOW........