Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Two in the Bush

Meet my Aunty Katy:


Actually, I have two.



Looking pretty fine. But I get ahead of myself -- let's go through the steps, from lowly charcoal sketch to layers of oil paint.

I liked the pose of these two guys. 



I kept thinking of "Pick a little, talk a little, pick a little, talk a little
Cheep cheep cheep, talk a lot, pick a little more..."



Next, the official Hot Mess stage:


Never despair, it will get better.



Then slather on more paint -



I'm happy with the colors, I love making so many different shades of green. Then I thought I'd try to add some real foliage details in the bottom of the frame:


I added more and more detail, more fronds, but then I wasn't so sure. They looked a little goofy, and maybe distracted too much from the birds. What do you think?



They looked as if they were having their own conversation down beneath the birds.


Too goofy. So I started to scrape and wipe them off with some turpentine. More Hot Mess time.



I painted over them with a more stately crew of frond folks.


Then back to the birds. I love their eyes......



Done!


I think................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your work is always so personified. You bring everything to life :) I love seeing the process.