Monday, May 27, 2013

Lady On A Train -- another painting progression

This one practically painted itself....

Oh, ok, true, I did have some issues with her billowy trousers but I eventually sorted them out.....

NYC Subway No. 18
4" x 4" x 1.5" Oil on cedar wood block

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Slouching Towards Bethlehem - a Painting Progression

When the train is fairly empty, we spread out, yo.

Rewind selectah -- face issues. Again.

And window adjustments. Poetic license, ok?


4" x 4" x 1.5" oil on cedar wood block

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Super Chic - a painting progression

Entranced by the iPad.........

4" x 4" x 1.5" oil on cedar wood block

Misplaced Modifiers

I've added a new feature to The Night Shift called Misplaced Modifiers. I see a lot of unexpected things when I walk through my East Village neighborhood each morning, like this tableau: The boot, the bottle cap and the bouquet.

I've recently added about 40 photos and have many more to share. You can access the page by clicking the link just to the right of the "Home" tab at the top of this page, beneath the title.

Note: Updates to Misplaced Modifiers don't generate an email if you subscribe to the blog. I will announce additions periodically on Facebook and Twitter!

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Lost in Translation - a painting progression

My new favorite; pictures speak louder than words so I think this one needs very little explanation -- here's how it happened:

Once again, facial issues. Although I like the soft, looseness of the brushwork on this face, she looked too old and too pessimistic than what I had intended:

Her face was also too large, I I made it a bit smaller, painting over the first effort.

And then tilted her head upwards, as she was sort of lost in thought, gazing up at the wall across from her:


4" x 4" x 1.5" oil on cedar wood block

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Louis Vuitton - another painting progression

This figure drove me nuts.  A simple young woman, holding a huge Louis Vuitton shopping bag, pretty straightforward. But I just couldn't get it right. Here's how it went down...........

First washes:

 Feeling pretty good at this point. In fact, wondering if I wasn't almost done -- I liked the loose, painterly textures.

But then I got hung up on the face. These blocks are so very small, and trying to get too much detail in the tiny faces frustrates me, I keep trying to simplify and not get too caught up in the details.

She was getting a bit messy:

 And her leopard print leggings were not happening. Ugh. I kept painting them and then wiping them away:

So I went back to her face - not too bad:

But I still couldn't get those legs right. I put the painting down for a while, a week or so and then came back to it. It was all very dry (not enough linseed oil) and she looked rather vacant, in addition to her troublesome legs:

So I returned to it later and made some changes. I opted to give her a pair of jeans rather than leggings and altered her face and head, to better effect I think:

Ok, done, time to stop!

4" x 4" x 1.5" oil on cedar wood block