Monday, June 06, 2011

HOWL and Art Around The Park 2011

Tompkins Square Park hosted the annual HOWL Festival  this past weekend, featuring my personal favorite event: Art Around the Park.

Coming down Avenue A, you catch your first glimpse of the huge stretches of canvas wrapping around the park fence, local artists at work ......



I snapped a few of the most interesting pieces.......




Family portrait? I like this one........


Plenty of abstraction.......





This appears to be the corner just opposite the painting, 9th Street at Avenue A ..........




Haiti Rising -- luminous!




A lizard, just because.






Saw quite a few of Alan Ginsburg, of course, the inspiration for the Howl Festival.






A portrait? Think so.




The occasional political piece....tho' I'm not quite certain what the point is of this one.........







American Gothic redux.










The ubiquitous Chico, whose spray-painted murals are all over the LES....



Looks like Chico had 3 more panels, Madonna and, um, J-Lo?



After J-Lo, who? Christina Aguilera? Not sure ..............








Nobody puts Alan in the corner.






Every year I say, "Next year, I'll do it."  AARTP is usually held at the end of summer so it kinda crept up on me this year -- next year for sure!

2 comments:

dinahmow said...

Yes! Do it, Victoria.

Samarjit Roy said...

nice activity this is